Read that again...
This is the end of favoring motorized transportation at the expense of non-motorized.
Who said THAT?
None other than United States Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood in this blogpost.
Here he is addressing the National Bike Summit.
Talking the talk but goodness me the talk is appealing and rather visionary.
- Treat walking and bicycling as equals with other transportation modes.
- Ensure convenient access for people of all ages and abilities.
- Go beyond minimum design standards.
- Collect data on walking and biking trips.
- Set a mode share target for walking and bicycling.
- Protect sidewalks and shared-use paths the same way roadways are protected (for example, snow removal)
- Improve non-motorized facilities during maintenance projects.
What an attractive list.
Thanks to Jeff from League of American Bicyclists for the link.
A sea change for bicycle policy in America indeed.